The Herberton Mining Museum and Visitor Information Centre is
built on a part of the original Reward Claim purchased
by the men who discovered payable tin mineralisation on this site 19th April,
It was fortuitous for Herberton, Cairns and North Queensland, that this
discovery occurred just as the gold fields further north were petering out,
leaving a struggling economy and destitute miners in their wake. Herberton
was a Godsend.
The Great Northern Mine, as it was named, developed rapidly.
First, the surface and easily worked outcrops were stripped of tin ore.
Then shafts were sunk
to work deeper deposits.
The first was the Gully Shaft which at one stage was powered by a horse
whim. The Eastern Shaft followed quickly and ultimately reached a depth of
600 feet (200 metres). The No. 3 Shaft began in 1907. However,
the whole claim is pock-marked by smaller shafts driven to follow tin wherever
Much of the original haulage machinery is still here at the shaft heads.
Some items are the only known examples of their kind in Australia.
All can be seen on a short interpreted walk on the site.
The Herberton Mining Museum seeks to
present and interpret to visitors information about the Great Northern site,
the history of tin mining in the district and how the town of Herberton
The Mining Museum has participated in the Museum & Gallery Services Queensland Standards Program 2011.
Click link to view Mining Museum profile.
Inside the Museum
Outside the Museum
The mine site:
A short walk along formed tracks outside the Museum takes you past the
relics of the mines that made up the Great Northern Claim - one of the
richest on the tinfield. The surface winding plant is described as ‘the
most intact in North Queensland’. The whole of the site is heritage
Click for Great Northern Mine Information
Open 7 Days
9.00am to 4.00pm.
Closed Good Friday, Christmas Day and Boxing Day .
Phone/Fax(07) 40 963 474