The site of the original discovery of payable quantities of tin ore (cassiterite, SnO2) of April 1880 became the Great Northern Mine. Taken up as a 60 acre (20Ha.) “reward” claim by the original prospectors, a large share soon passed into the hands of John Moffat who founded a mining empire in North Queensland.
The Great Northern Mine from 1880 to1956 when mining ceased produced over 5000 tonnes of ore on todays value (A$20000/tonne) worth $100,000,000. While there was extensive mining all across the site, three shafts were the main producers the Gully Shaft (1881 on), the Eastern Shaft (1884 on) and the New Gully or No 3 Shaft (1904 on).
The site passed into private ownership of Frederick Stamp in 1954 and thanks to his rather idosyncratic protection of the on site machinery, remained largely intact up to his death in 1992. (The site was heritage listed in 1977).
In the eight years of negotiation with the beneficiaries of his estate, some deterioration of the site occurred. However, in May 1999 the then Herberton Shire Council acquired the site to ensure it became publically owned and plans were made for preservation and conservation of the site.